Please join us on Saturday, March 3. We will be hosting a barbeque prior to the concert which starts at 2:30pm. Look for more information soon.
It’s nothing new in Christian music for traditional songs to be re-shaped by the influences of culture and time. But perhaps it’s the way Koiné is combining century-old hymns with a modern accompaniment that is causing people everywhere to take notice of what some in Milwaukee have known for years. Imagine a 1200 year old text and a 600 year old melody, married with a Les Paul, Steinway piano, drums and electric bass. With their arrangements, Koiné strives to find a unique balance between the familiarity of the classic hymn melodies and the raw instrumentation of the new arrangements.
Originally formed in 2003 as a worship band, Koiné quickly began to gain a grassroots following as requests for appearances and sales of their first album, Koiné (Self-Titled) started to roll in.
Since that time, local events turned into regional tours, and now Koiné travels the North America sharing their unique music ministry. Koiné has truly found a niche for themselves. Much of their music already has a welcome home in traditional worship, but with a modern sound that anyone can identify with.
Koiné is currently working on their 9th full-length album (to be released early 2018).
Interesting Koiné Facts:
- For the past 10 years, Koiné has been a full-time band. It’s members have no other jobs with music sales and touring becoming their only source of income.
- In 2010, Koiné performed over 200 times across the United States, leading worship, performing concerts, and offering “Special Services.” These Special Services combine Scriptural narration, music, and multimedia to present Biblical stories in a whole new musical format. The popularity of these presentations has grown over the past 7 years to include 5 different Christmas presentations, a Lenten, a Tenebrae, an Easter presentation and Visit Illuminated.
- Koiné was recognized by the Wisconsin Area Music Industry as Christian/Gospel Artist of the year in 2013 & 2016.
- In 2015, Koiné traveled to Plzen, Czech Republic to assist with music for Vacation Bible for St. Paul's Evangelical Lutheran.
- In 2016, Koiné traveled to Israel to provide music for a tour of The Holy Land. Highlights of the trip included playing music for a worship service floating across The Sea of Galilee, an acoustic musical service at the garden tomb, and a concert overlooking the Mediterranean Sea in Tel Aviv.
These small groups gather together during the week in order to deepen their relationship with Jesus through the study of God's Word, strengthen their relationships with one another, pray for one another, encourage one another, serve one another, and give lots of love and understanding to one another.
The Peter Letters - Starting January 16 at 6:30pm
Living a Christian life is tough in this hostile world. Remaining true to the gospel teachings can be challenging. Yet Peter gives us his wisdom for living in hope, and to energize and empower us as Christians in our daily struggle with the evil one. Join your Reformation family members at the Ybarra residence (4815 Mt. Royal Place San Diego, 92117) for a six-week Life Group Study of the Peter Letters. This Life Group is open to adults of all ages and food and beverages will be available. Childcare will not be provided. Please bring a bible. If you have any questions, please contact Rick Ybarra at (858) 277-2257 or (858) 442-8854.
New Women's Life Group- Waiting: A Bible Study on Patience, Hope and Trust - Starting January 16 at 6:30pm
Throughout history, God has called on His people to wait. In this eight week study, we will examine the lives of a few of God followers - eight biblical ladies-in-waiting, if you will. These were women who yearned for babies. Women who ached for healing. Women who waited for guidance. Women like you and me. As we study these women and read their stories in Scripture, we will discover how to handle seasons of delay. Participants are encouraged to buy the book "Waiting" by Sharla Fritz. We will meet on Tuesdays at 6:30pm beginning January 16 at the home of Barbette Lowndes, 4105 Rueda Drive (Tierrasanta). This life group will be in two sessions of four weeks each January 16 - February 6 and April 10 - May 1. If you have any questions, please call Barbette at (858) 243-2142. Childcare will not be provided.